Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Technology in the Classroom

Working at a large urban high school with limited resources makes me wonder about the issues of equity surrounding incorporating technology in the classroom. On the one hand, computer and digital literacies are going to be vital to almost any job these students encounter yet the resources are not available for me to do an effective job incorporating these skills in the classroom. From what I have seen in my very limited exposure to students in a secondary setting students seem to love products that incorporate technology and computers and some of the most interactive engaged learning I have seen has taken place as a result of this technology.

Additionally, one must wonder at the skills possesed by the teachers who are being asked to teach these students about a skill set they themselves might not possess. I believe that in order for educators to be effective teachers of technology they need to undergo a constant process of training and professional development so that the skills they are teaching the youth are relevant, and meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment